Using Dawn Beyond the Sink
Three surprising summer cleaning hacks.
Who knew your favourite dish soap, Dawn, could help maintain your fresh summer look? Not only does it tackle greasy messes in the kitchen, it helps keep your outfits and makeup routine looking and feeling clean and glam. Let’s dish about three ways to use Dawn beyond the sink.
1. Fine Jewelry
Metals and gemstones are standouts on sun-kissed skin, but sunscreen, sweat and dirt can make jewelry lose its lustre. Here’s how to bring back the bling with Dawn:
- Make sure jewelry is in good condition and can withstand gentle cleaning.
- Add a few drops of Dawn to a bowl of warm (not hot) water and mix.
- Place item into water and let soak for 2 minutes.
- Gently scrub with a new, baby-sized soft toothbrush.
- Rinse item in a new bowl of lukewarm water.
- Dry immediately with a paper towel, jewelry cloth or regular cloth, being careful not to snag the prongs on the fibres.
2. Makeup Brushes
Makeup brushes get dirty from oil, product residue and bacteria, which can spoil your complexion and cause breakouts and bacterial or fungal infections (yuck!). Dermatologists recommend washing brushes every 7-10 days. Here’s how to do it with Dawn:
- Wet brush with lukewarm water and dip into soap.
- Brush back and forth to absorb soap and work up a lather.
- Run brush under water and repeat the back-and-forth brushing motion until water runs clean and suds are gone.
- Gently squeeze out excess water, reshape the brush head and lay flat on a towel to dry.
3. Laundry Pre-Treatment
Seasonal favourites can wreak havoc on summer whites — BBQ sauce, ketchup and cherries to name a few. Here’s how to pre-treat laundry and clean tough stains (even baby poop!) with Dawn:
- Treat soiled cotton/poly-cotton fabric with a small, button-sized squirt of Dawn. Anything more than a teaspoon will cause excess suds.
- Rub Dawn over stained area and let the soap set for a few minutes. The cleaning agents in Dawn grab and hold grease until the stain is washed away in the rinse cycle.
- Toss stained garment into washing machine with similar items and wash normally. In the unlikely event the stain doesn’t come out, don’t pre-treat the soiled area twice.
- Dry laundry as usual.
Dawn Cleans More Than Dishes
Discover everything you can clean with Dawn at Dawn-Dish.com.