Gwyneth Paltrow’s Hair Stylist Shares His Secrets For Sexy, Natural Hair
What do Miranda Kerr, Gwyneth Paltrow and Helena Christensen have in common? Harry Josh’s hands on their hair. We got the celeb stylist’s secrets for getting sexy, natural hair.
Love Your Natural Locks
We are funny about our hair aren’t we? If we’re born with thick locks with gorgeous natural waves, we want nothing more to have shiny and sleek straight hair. Although playing with your hair texture is always fun, now’s the time to embrace the hair you were born with.
Celeb hair guru Harry Josh, who’s behind the hair for many A-listers – including Miranda Kerr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ellen Pompeo, Helena Christensen and Tina Fey – shares his secrets for achieving sexy hair from your own natural hair texture.
Love Your Fine/Thin Hair
The advantage to the fine and thin hair type is that you have the ability to style it faster than anyone else. With the right products and a few drying tips, you’ll be able to get the volume you crave – and quickly.
- Work in a bit of volumizer straight out of the shower. Lift up the roots with your fingertips and aim the blow-dryer at them – the goal is to get your hair standing up from your scalp.
- The minute your hair feels dry, press the cold shot and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat on the next section. It’s best to work in long rows, from front to back.
- Once your roots are set, style the rest as usual. If it flattens in the day’s heat, simply spritz your hair with dry shampoo. “It’s really about mastering those few extra minutes in the morning so that they’re useful and you understand the purpose of why you’re doing it,” says Josh. “It will give you a lot more volume than you’ve ever had.”
Best Health Pick
- John Frieda Luxurious Volume Core Restore Protein-Infused Shampoo and Clear Conditioner, $11 at mass retailers.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Plus Heavenly Volume, $8.47 at walmart.ca.
Love Your Curly/Frizzy Hair
If you have curly or frizzy hair, you can go six days without having to wash or wet it because it never seems to get oily or flat. With each new day, you can rework your hair without having to start from scratch.
- Fight your battles in the shower: Use the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair needs.
- When drying hair, don’t rough it up; just blot or put it up in a 45-second towel turban to avoid drips.
- Divide hair into four and apply your favourite serum or mousse. You can diffuse it if you want or just let it air-dry. As the week unfolds, you’ve got options: Use a curling iron to define flattened curls, sleep in braids, wrap your hair in a bun to stretch out the wave or use a headband.
- “Work with your God-given hair texture rather than fight it,” says Josh.
Best Health Picks:
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Forever Smooth Leave In Cream Primer, $11 at mass retailers
- Schwarzkopf Gliss Hair Repair Oil Nutritive Weightless Oil, $10 at mass retailers and select salons.