Pass up the french fries, instant soup and pepperettes. Try these smarter picks when you’re jonesing for some salt’and remember, a little goes a long way when you’re watching sodium.
1. Cheesy kale chips: Tear kale leaves into large pieces and arrange on a baking sheet. Spritz with olive oil and bake in a 350°F oven until crisp. While still warm, sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan.
2. A few tamari-seasoned rice crackers are a salt lover’s best choice for scooping up tuna salad. Punch it up with a squeeze of chili sauce!
3. Drain canned artichoke hearts and sprinkle with lemon zest, capers, chopped fresh basil and olive oil. Enjoy them while imagining you’re on a trip to the Mediterranean.
4. Five-spice pumpkin seeds: Toss salted pumpkin seeds with sesame oil and Chinese five-spice powder; bake at 350°F until they’re crisp.
5. Buffalo popcorn: Toss air-popped popcorn with olive oil, a little hot sauce or chili powder, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
6. Whole-wheat pretzels are always delicious, but they’re flat-out irresistible when slathered with spicy mustard (there are very few calories in mustard).