Source: Web exclusive: March 2008
Pick one of these options for breakfast each day. Each choice totals approximately 250 calories.
- 3/4 cup/175 mL fresh fruit salad (melon, grapes, berries, etc.)
- ½ cup/125 mL low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup/125 mL cooked whole grain cereal like Red River cereal
- ½ grapefruit
- Morning Pizza — 2 tablespoons/25 mL tomato or pasta sauce on ½ whole grain English muffin or 1 ounce/25 g whole grain pita. Top with ¼ cup/50 mL shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons/25 mL chopped peppers. Bake at 400°F/200°C for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- French toast—1 oz/25 g whole grain bread into 1 egg beaten together with 2 teaspoons/10 mL low-fat milk and ¼ teaspoon/1mL vanilla extract and prepared on a non-stick skillet
- ½ cup/125 mL berries (fresh or frozen defrosted) mixed with ½ cup/125 mL plain low-fat yogurt sweetened with 1 teaspoon/5 mL honey or low-cal sweetener
- Mango Apple Shake—½ cup/125 mL mango chunks (fresh or frozen), ½ apple, cored, ¼ cup/50 mL low-fat cottage cheese, ½ cup/125 mL low-fat yogurt, 2 tablespoons/25 mL wheat germ, 1 teaspoon/5 mL honey or low-calorie sweetener and ¼ teaspoon/1 mL vanilla extract. Blend all ingredients together.
- 1 boiled egg
- ½ cup/125 mL oatmeal
- 1 small sliced banana
- Apple cheese quesadilla—1 small whole grain tortilla, 1/3 cup/75 mL shredded light cheddar, ½ apple, sliced and 1 teaspoon/5 mL honey mustard. Spread honey mustard over tortilla and top one half the tortilla with one half of the cheese. Place apple slices over cheese and top with remaining cheese. Fold tortilla to cover filling. Bake in 400°F/200°C oven at for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Scrambled egg and cheese wrap—1 large egg scrambled with 1 teaspoon/5 mL grated light cheese wrapped in 1 small whole grain flour tortilla.
- 1 cup/250 mL sodium-reduced vegetable cocktail
Found this article informative? Subscribe to our magazine today and receive more Best Health exclusives delivered to your door!