Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Lumpia (Filipino Spring Roll)
One of the best things about living in Toronto is its diversity. You can never get bored of the culture
One of the best things about living in Toronto is its diversity. You can never get bored of the culture or cuisine here, because all you need to do is go to Kensington Market, The Danforth, Little India or another little pocket of the city to have an entirely new experience.
For people that love food, that’s big deal – it means your palate is constantly greeted with new flavours.
Enter the 8th Annual KULTURA Filipino Arts Festival, a celebration of Filipino culture within the context of Canada. On Sunday, August 11, at Artscape Wychwood Barns, festival-goers will celebrate popular Filipino street eats.
Until then, enjoy the flavours of Filipino food through this vegetarian lumpia recipe.
1 bunch of cilantro (washed and dried)
1 carrot (julienne)
1 stock of celery (julienne)
1 cup of bean sprouts
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 spring onion (julienne)
¼ tsp Sesame oil
¼ tsp Canola oil
1 tbs soya sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté garlic in sesame and canola oil.
2. Add in carrots and celery and cook until carrots are soft.
3. Add bean sprouts and spring onions and deglaze with soya sauce.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add filling to a fresh crepe with a piece of cilantro and serve with lumpia sauce.
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
½ cup water
¼ tsp salt
2 tbs margarine, melted
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and eggs. Gradually add in milk and water, stirring to combine. When fully combined, add salt and margarine; beat until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately ¼ cup for each crepe.
3. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
4. Cook the crepe for approximately 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.
3 tbs soya sauce
½ cup sugar
3 tbs cornstarch
2 ½ cups water
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 tbs peanut butter
1-2 cups peanuts, toasted and ground
4 cloves garlic, minced finely
1. Mix all the ingredients together, excluding the peanuts and garlic.
2. Cook over medium heat in a small saucepan until thick.
3. Remove from heat and add minced garlic.
4. Serve with ground peanuts over any fresh lumpia.
Recipe by Chef Gavin Vasquez