5 ways to improve your hair
Tips to keep your hair in top condition
Source: Best Health Magazine, Spring 2008
1. Shower before getting into a pool or spa—the water expands your hair cuticles, lessening the risk of chlorine damage. If you swim mostly in salt water, use protein treatments to keep hair soft and shiny, such as VO5 Hot! Protein ($5, 3x25g sachets).
2. Help hair regain strength and vitality with an anti-aging shampoo that fights damaging free radicals, such as Phytodensium Anti-Aging Shampoo For Lifeless Hair ($26, 200 mL). For stronger, fuller-looking hair, try Dove’s Advanced Care Pro-Age shampoo and conditioner ($8 each, 355 mL).
3. Hormonal changes, cell renewal slowdown and various medications can all affect your hair’s condition. Use a colour-protecting conditioner—even if you’re not colouring your hair—such as Dove Advanced Color Therapy conditioner ($5, 355 mL).
4. To prevent heat damage, allow hair to air-dry as much as possible, and turn down the heat on your blow-dryer. To maintain your hair’s volume, use lightweight styling products such as Pantene Pro-V Style Body Builder Volumizing Mousse ($6, 187 g).
5. Dandruff is caused by an overgrowth of the fungus Pityrosporum ovale, found naturally on most scalps. Stress and poor diet can make it worse. Today’s anti-dandruff products are milder, thanks to pyrithione zinc, an antifungal agent. Try Head & Shoulders Classic Clean shampoo and conditioner ($7 each, 400 mL) or Herbal Essences No Flakin’ Way ($3, 300 mL).
Found this article informative? Subscribe to our magazine today and receive more Best Health exclusives delivered to your door!