Banana and Mango Shake
A thick banana-flavoured milk shake with a tropical touch, this will appeal to children and adults alike. The banana and mango shake is an ideal drink for busy breakfast times as it is packed with nourishment and very quick to prepare.
1 small ripe banana, sliced
150 ml (5 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
120 ml (4 fl oz) orange juice
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp caster sugar
2 heaped tbsp vanilla frozen yogurt
sprigs of fresh lemon balm to decorate (optional)
- Peel the skin from the mango and cut the flesh away from the stone. Chop the flesh roughly. Put into a blender with the banana.
- Add the milk, orange juice, lime juice, sugar and frozen yogurt and blend on maximum speed for about 30 seconds or until mixed and frothy.
- Pour banana and mango shake into glasses and serve immediately, decorated with sprigs of lemon balm, if you like.
- Use skimmed milk instead of semi-skimmed. Skimmed milk contains only 0.1% fat, as compared with 3.9% for full-cream milk and 1.6% for semi-skimmed milk, but still has similar levels of vitamins and minerals.
- Those who do not eat dairy products or who have a lactose (milk sugar) intolerance can substitute 300 ml (10 fl oz) soya milk for the cow’s milk, and omit the frozen yogurt; or use 240 ml (8 fl oz) soya milk with 2 heaped tbsp soya ice cream.
- Use a ripe peach instead of the mango half.
- For a shake rich in fibre, use 115 g (4 oz) stoned ready-to-eat prunes instead of the mango, with lemon juice instead of lime juice.
- Milk is an excellent source of several important nutrients – protein, calcium and phosphorus (important for strong bones and teeth) and many of the B vitamins, particularly B1, B2, B6 and B12.
- Bananas are a useful source of the mineral potassium, a good intake of which may help to prevent high blood pressure.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamin C and carotenoid compounds, both antioxidants that protect the body against damage by free radicals.
protein 5 g
fat 2 g (of which saturated fat 1 g)
carbohydrate 30 g (of which sugars 29 g)
fibre 1 g
Low Calorie Cookbook, Reader's Digest