Quinoa and Roasted Vegetable Salad
A great salad to tote to a potluck or dish up at a summer barbecue.
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) quinoa, uncooked
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) cold water
1 pinch of salt
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced in rounds
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil or cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) feta cheese, crumbled
- Rinse quinoa well to remove any residue from the husk.
- Pour into a medium pot with water and salt; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; leave covered for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in olive oil and lemon juice.
- While quinoa cooks, roast or grill onion, red pepper and zucchini until tender.
- Place quinoa in large bowl, and mix in vegetables plus tomatoes, basil and feta cheese. Serve warm or cold.
Serves eight (as a side dish)
Per serving: 199 calories, 7 g protein, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 8 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium