Potato and Zucchini Tortilla
This potato and zucchini tortilla is made from the simplest of ingredients—eggs, onions and potatoes—cooked like a flat omelette and served warm or cold, cut into wedges. All kinds of extra ingredients can be added, such as asparagus, peas and mushrooms.
1 1⁄2 lb (750 g) new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-in. (1-cm) cubes
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 zucchini, diced
2 slices turkey bacon, chopped
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped parsley
• Three cups of egg substitute can be used in place of the whole eggs in this recipe to decrease the fat and cholesterol content of the dish.
• Zucchini is a source of vitamin B6 and niacin. The skins contain the greatest concentration of these vitamins.
- Place the potato cubes in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat slightly and cook for 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a heavy (10-in./25-cm) non-stick skillet. Add the potatoes, onion, zucchini and bacon, and cook over a moderate heat until the potatoes are tender and lightly golden, about 10 minutes, turning and stirring from time to time.
- Preheat the broiler to high. In a bowl, beat the eggs with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water. Add the parsley and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet and cook until the egg has set on the base, about 3 to 4 minutes, lifting the edges to allow the uncooked egg mixture to run onto the pan.
- When there is just a little uncooked egg on the top, place the pan under the hot broiler and cook for 2 minutes to set the top. Slide the tortilla out onto a plate or board and allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Cut into small wedges and serve warm, or leave to cool completely before cutting and serving.
preparation time 15 minutes, plus cooling
cooking time about 15 minutes
Each serving provides calories 161, calories from fat 72, fat 8 g, saturated fat 2 g, cholesterol 162 mg, carbohydrate 16 g, fibre 2 g, sugars 3 g, protein 7 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 1, Meat & Alternatives 1, Fat 1