Grilled Greek-Style Pizza
The arugula pesto in this recipe adds a delicious peppery taste to the pizza (make extra pesto and have it the next day with grilled fish or meat, or as a simple pasta sauce). The grilled whole-wheat pita resembles a thin oven-baked pizza crust and has a great crunch, but with less calories and fat.
4 whole-wheat pita bread,
8 in. (20 cm) in diameter
2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
4 handfuls arugula
2 Tbsp (30 mL) Parmesan cheese
2 large garlic cloves, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium (226 g) skinless chicken breast, grilled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup (60 mL) feta cheese
20 grape tomatoes, halved
4 artichoke hearts (canned in water), quartered
20 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
The key element to Greek cooking is to use fresh ingredients. Not only do they benefit our overall health, but fresh food makes for a better-tasting meal.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Lightly brush both sides of each pita with a little bit of olive oil, and set aside.
- In a blender, combine arugula, Parmesan cheese, garlic and remaining olive oil to make arugula pesto. Add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water to loosen pesto if needed. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pitas on preheated barbecue and grill until lightly toasted, approximately two minutes.
- Turn pitas and top with equal amounts of arugula pesto, chicken, feta cheese, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives.
- Grill for another two to three minutes until bottom is crispy.
Makes four pizzas.
Per pizza: 413 calories, 24 g protein, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrates, 7 g fibre, 47 mg cholesterol, 895 mg sodium