Blueberry Popovers with Berry Salad
Similar to Yorkshire puddings, popovers are a much-loved treat, and the sweet version here is perfect for breakfast or brunch. The batter is baked, and the blueberry popovers are served with sweet, fresh berries to add extra vitamin C.
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar
1 cup (250 mL) 1% milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) blueberries
1 tablespoon (15 mL) icing sugar to dust
1 cup (250 mL) raspberries
1 cup (250 mL) blueberries
1 cup (250 mL) strawberries, hulled and thickly sliced
2 teaspoons (10 mL) sugar
• Blueberries, like cranberries, contain antibacterial compounds called anthocyanins. These are effective against the E. coli bacteria that cause gastrointestinal disorders and urinary tract infections.
• Ounce for ounce, strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Using nonstick cooking spray, grease 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan (each cup should measure about 6 cm across the top and be about 3 cm deep).
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, and make a well in the centre. Break the eggs into the well, add the milk and beat together with a fork.
- Using a wire whisk, gradually work the flour into the liquid to make a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups—they should be about two-thirds full. With a spoon, drop a few blueberries into the batter in each cup, dividing them equally. Half-fill the 4 empty cups with water.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25–30 minutes or until the popovers are golden-brown, risen and crisp around the edges.
- Meanwhile, to make the berry salad, purée two-thirds of the raspberries by pressing them through a nylon sieve into a bowl. Add the remaining raspberries to the bowl, together with the blueberries and strawberries. Sift the icing sugar over the fruit and fold gently to mix everything together.
- Remove the popovers with a round-bladed knife, and dust with the icing sugar. Serve the blueberry popovers hot, with the berry salad.
preparation time 20 mins
cooking time 30 mins
serves 8 (makes 8)
Each serving (1 popover) provides calories 131, calories from fat 18, fat 2 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 56 mg,
carbohydrate 23 g, fibre 3 g, sugars 8 g, protein 5 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 1, Fat 1/2