I spent the weekend away with friends but when I came home yesterday evening, I knew that I needed (and wanted) to make something to bring in for lunch today. The only problem? It was late and I was tired and had no groceries. In any case, I dragged myself to the grocery store and picked up the ingredients for this quick pasta sauce. This is an easy, go-to meal that can be livened up both taste and health-wise, with the right additions.
In less than 20 minutes I had a delicious and filling meal to take for lunch today (which I’m really looking forward to after yoga!)
1 small jar of tomato sauce (you can use whichever you prefer)
1 can brown lentils
1 head broccoli
1/2 orange pepper
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp grapeseed oil for frying
2 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp tomato paste
Pasta (Use any type you want. I used Gluten-free penne)
1. Chop onion, pepper, broccoli and garlic and place into pan with oil. Cook on low for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Once vegetables have softened in pan, add lentils (be sure to rinse them well first).
4. Add tomato sauce, spices, salt and pepper and allow all ingredients to cook together until pasta is ready. You can add chia seeds, tomato paste and nutritional yeast now. Note: This will thicken your sauce, but also add some extra nutrients!
5. Once pasta is ready, drain and mix into pan with the sauce until pasta is covered.
And that’s all. You can let it all sit together and if you wanted to add a little cheese to melt in there, you could do that, too. As with many of my recipes, all vegetables can be substituted, or you could add some extra vegetables too, if you prefer.
What’s your favourite go-to, quick meal?
-Jessica Harding, associate web editor