3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach, thick stalks discarded
2 cups (500 mL) watercress, thick stalks discarded
1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
1 1⁄2 cups (375 mL) tagliatelle
2 tsp (10 mL) cornmeal
1 cup (250 mL) plain low-fat yogurt
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped parsley
6 sprigs of fresh basil, torn into pieces
Salt and pepper
- Rinse the spinach and watercress and place in a large saucepan while still wet. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until they have wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and heat through, uncovered, for 2 minutes’there should be enough liquid in the pan to cook the peas. Place the greens and their liquid into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes, or according to the package instructions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, blend the cornmeal to a smooth paste with the yogurt, and place in the pan used for cooking the vegetables. Stir over medium heat until just bubbling. Add the vegetables, parsley, basil, salt and pepper to taste, and stir well. Cook the sauce until heated through, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss to mix with the sauce and serve.
preparation time 10 minutes
cooking time 8’10 minutes
Each serving provides calories 322, calories from fat 27, fat 3 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 5 mg, carbohydrate 58 g,fibre 6 g, sugars 8 g, protein 16 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 3 1⁄2, Fat 1⁄2
20-Minute Main Dishes